- 300g (10oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 300g (10oz) caster sugar
- a few drops of vanilla extract
- a pinch of salt
- 5 eggs
- 375g (13oz) plain flour
- 4 tsp baking powder
- 4 tbsp milk
- 20g (3/4oz) cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp honey
- 115g (4oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g (8oz) icing sugar
- A few drops of food colouring (optional)
- cupcake cases
- muffin tin
- mini marshmallows (for decoration)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Place the butter in a bowl and beat until smooth using an electric whisk (recommended) or a wooden spoon. Gradually stir in the sugar, vanilla extract, and salt until thickened and smooth. Add the eggs one at a time, whisking vigorously each time.
- Sift and fold in the flour and baking powder into the butter and egg mixture and add 2 tbsp of the milk.
- Separate the mixture at about a 1:2 ratio. Take the larger portion and stir in the honey. Add the cocoa powder to the remaining mixture along with the rest of the milk.
- Spoon the mixture into the cases (again at about a 1:2 ratio) and swirl to create the marbling effect (I used the end of a teaspoon).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done. Leave to cool on a wire rack while you make the icing.
- Put the butter, half the milk and the vanilla extract in a mixing bowl and beat until smooth and blended with and an electric hand whisk.
- Sift in the icing sugar and add the rest of the milk and any food colouring. Beat until it is combined and has a spreading consistency. If it is too stiff, beat in a little extra milk.
- Once the cakes are cooled, spread or pipe on the icing and add any extra decoration.
Recipe adapted from Everyday Easy Cakes and Cupcakes (2011)
My last post: My Enemy’s Enemy